One of those quaint little-known towns that can be found along the back roads of America is Echo, Oregon. One lovely day, with some time to meander, we took a little adventure down just such a road and enjoyed a few minutes reverie of the past.
Echo is on the Old Oregon Trail and boasts a bit of interesting history.
Jack Dempsey spent a little time there…and apparently even less money!
A museum has been erected along the Deschutes River where there was a stop along the Oregon Trail.
Above images from the museum list the requirements to set out on the trail and head west.
a tiny cabin
I don’t think they could really phone back then…and writing doesn’t seem to have been a good choice either, in case of fire! Someone from the museum must have a sense of humor.
As with many old towns, an effort has been made to update, while maintaining the flavor of the historic setting.
The Catholic Church is still standing, but apparently no longer in service.
Do you like to explore little, old towns? I love an adventure!
Spring is here!
Now that spring has arrived, we have more and more opportunities to sneak beneficial activities into our day, and you don’t have to be a super-athlete. In some areas, it may seem like we are not there yet, but you can still start taking these ideas to heart.
- Vitamin D – This past winter many more people have been diagnosed with low levels of Vitamin D. Guess what? SUNSHINE gives off natural Vitamin D. Yes, use common sense about exposure, but remember to get a few minutes of sunlight every day.
- Exercise – It’s time to start moving more of your body than the fingers needed to text, press the buttons on the remote or play video games. While you take a walk around the block, you get exercise AND sunshine on a nice day. Targeting 30 minutes of movement a day, you can break that up into 10 minute segments. As you gain stamina and see how much you enjoy it, you will naturally want to increase your time.
- Endorphins – So, while you are getting that exercise, you are generating endorphins that actually improve your mood. OK, maybe you don’t really want to be taking a walk, but make yourself and if you persist for just a bit, you will feel the benefits and then you will want to do it more often.
- Buddy-system – All of us need to make these changes so grab a buddy and double the good thing; a spouse, neighbor, child, whomever. The added benefit…improved relationships as you get better acquainted and share more when not in front of the TV or some other place where you don’t talk.
- Dance – We have all heard it said, “Dance like no one is watching!” It is another form of exercise and it doesn’t take a lot of it to feel better. Added benefit…the music will lift your spirits as you dance and you might just laugh or smile.
- Smile – Now there is a concept. Smiling is contagious and your smile can bring a smile to the next person’s face. Yes, it takes fewer muscles to smile than frown, but this isn’t about burning calories. This is about joy…and spreading it around.
So there you have it…some spring ideas to get off your duff and see some change; change in your attitude, body and overall health. What could be better? I dare you!
(Images copyright Valorie Webster)
WHOOO would you like to be?
It is Halloween…ghosts, goblins, princesses and fairies! What are you going to be this year? I have already seen pictures of the little ones I know and love that are sweet, sassy, scary and so on…I love it! This question makes me think way beyond a Halloween costume though.
What are you (or me) going to BE this year? Are we “tricked” into thinking we can’t or are not worthy? Or, do we “treat” ourselves with hopes, dreams, plans and visions? Sometimes the biggest and best things start with a tiny flicker of hope, followed by a step of faith and often, more than an ounce of determination!
“Would you like to swing on a star…carry moonbeams home in a jar…and be better off than you are?” Well, you can grow up to be a ______________ (fill in the blank). And by the way, we are all still growing!
Look for the light in even the dark, scary places!
Enjoy the theme of the day today in every good way. And remember to treat yourself and others with the belief that you can be anything you want to be. That is what my daddy used to tell me. I have tried on lots of costumes, if you will, and that is half the adventure. I hope you find the one that fits you…and that you find joy, peace and love on the journey!